Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 25th

The original plan was to take a sleeper car to Fulda, change trains and go to Warzburg, then change trains and go to Vienna. That is not what happened.

Everything was fine up to Fulda. Sleeper cars are the only way to travel. It was so cool! First of all because you get your own little compartment so you can stretch out, and they give you a fluffy blanket and comfy pillow so you´re comfortable (dear trains, lumbar support. that is all). So I settled in and watched the Danish countryside while listening to my movie soundtracks playlist, which provided an excellent soundtrack for the journey.

Then I went to bed. I had the middle bunk and it was so cool! It was all so tiny and snug. Not the most comfortable bed ever, I didn´t actually sleep much. But it was a really fun experience.

We crossed the border into Germany at exactly 22:23, which I know because Germany texted me to welcome me to the country and wish me a pleasant stay. I had to change trains at 5:30 am, so I was up and about bright and early. And we all know how cheery I am in the mornings. I had a cinnabun and some apple juice at the little cafe, and then got on my new train at 7. I was supposed to change trains at Warzburg, but due to something I had to switch trains in Nurnburg instead. And that was supposed to go to Vienna. Remember how in Sweden they lost their train tracks and I had to take a bus? Not to be outdone by Sweden, Germany decided to take it one step further with a train accident. A cargo train had overturned so we were going to have to get off in Pasau and take a bus to the next stop. We made it to Straubing at which point we were informed that a bomb from WWII had been discovered under the tracks. I can´t make this up.

I should mention that none of this was explained in English, so I was entirely dependent ont he kindness of strangers. By the time we got to the bus I had a whole team working for me. On the Nurnburg train there was an extremely good looking steward who very kindly sat next to me and explained each announcement as it came. He also helped old ladies with their luggage. I think a winter wedding in Vienna would be lovely. Our love is pure.

I don´t know how long the bus portion took at least a few hours. I was sleeping on and off for most of it. And wondering about the bomb. At first they told us that they were clearing it up, but then like 20 minutes later we got onto the buses. Would the bomb have exploded? And if it was right by the tracks why hasn´t it exploded already? I mean I´m happy to be no dead, but I am curious about the details.

After taking the bus to Somewhere in Austria, I finally got on my train to Vienna. I have to say that it was a beautiful ride from Copenhagen. There are worse things than watching the sun rise over the German countryside. The German and Austrian countryside is GORGEOUS. Rolling green hills dotted with trees, the mountains off in the distance, and all these picture perfect little villages with white washed houses with red stucco roofs. It was so perfect the whole way, it´s kind of hard to believe it was real. I happily stared out the window whenever I wasn´t napping.

After 24 hours of travel I finally made it into Vienna. My hostel is really nice and I made friends and had dinner with two of the girls in my room. Now that I´m fed (for the first time since my cinnabun), I plan on going straight to sleep.

I´m wondering what will happen on the way to Italy. Alien attack? The apocalypse? If the apocalypse could wait until after Bath that´d be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment