Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 11th/12th

Sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to Newark, where I will transfer to another flight to Sweden. Airport security now has an actual mascot. It's a blue dog in uniform.????? Dad held it together well but mom burst into tears the moment we had to say goodbye, which in turn made me almost cry. I had to take deep breaths and remind myself that I'm going on a grand adventure. It's hard to believe it's actually here. I'm not sure it'll hit me until I'm in Sweden panicking because I don't speak the language. This has all come up so quickly, I don't feel at all prepared. But mom is so obsessive, I'm pretty sure I couldn't be more prepared. All the hotels are booked, I have about seventy zillion important pieces of paper, the only thing I have yet to acquire is a good looking European man. I've been dreaming of this for so long, it's hard to believe it's actually happening. I actually get to walk through Versailles and dress up for a Regency ball in Bath and see the Paris Opera Ballet. I can watch a period movie (ex: Pride and Prejudice), look up the house (ex: Pemberly) and say "OK, I'll go there`'. I might just be the luckiest person to have ever lived.

Well at this point I'm just killing time until my flight leaves. I probably shouldn't write too much so I'll have lots of space for Versailles gushing and the like.

Later:
OK, it's weird. Everyone speaks Swedish and alt he signs are in Swedish but I still don't feel like I'm in Europe. I kind of feel like I'm in Philadelphia actually, except for the architecture is nicer and more colorful. I was too tired to do any sight seeing so I just wandered around today. It's funny, all the buildings are so beautiful and then on ground level there's a 7 Eleven and sketchy Chinese place on every corner. There's also lots of hair salons and antique stores. I went into one that had all sorts of treasures, including a beaded reticule (purse) for a little over $50. I desperately wanted it but I wasn't sure if I could afford it, but mom gave me the go ahead so I'll go back tomorrow morning and hope it's still there. European antique shops > American antique shops.

While wandering, enjoying the weather and architecture, I stumbled upon a gorgeous church. It definitely looked new, but the architecture was very Viking-esque. It was a really cool building and I'm sure it has a name but I couldn't figure out what it was. I also stumbled on some sort of something going on in a really long traffic island park area. There were lots of young people in colorful jumpsuits building stuff out of trash, so I'm guessing it had something to do with sustainability.

No comments:

Post a Comment