Wednesday, July 13, 2011

June 19th: Sunday in the Park with Stephen

Sondheim that is. Today I fulfilled another item on my Paris bucket list by going to the Isle of La Grand Jatte, setting of the famous Sunday on the Isle of La Grande Jatte painting by Georges Seurat which in turn inspired Stephen Sondheim to write a brilliant musical, and listening to the Sunday in the Park with George soundtrack. It was honsestly one of the most moving things I've done so far. We all know my thing with Stephen Sondheim, and how much his music affects me. And listening to it while on the island was like being in the music. There were people strolling through the trees in a small suburban park on an island in the river on an ordinary Sunday, towers where there were trees, blue purple yellow red water, little dogs yapping and playing, it was seriously like being immersed in the music I love so much.

The park is definitely worth a visit, even if you're not a die-hard Sondheim nut. It's a really lovely walk around the island, and there are little plaques all around with text in French and English telling about all the paintings that have been set there.

No comments:

Post a Comment