Wednesday, July 13, 2011

June 25th

I did The Louvre today. Now of course I was expecting to have to wait in line for a million years because you don't just waltz into the Louvre like tra la la, I think I'll see some art today. Except that's what happened. I went to one of the underground entrances that's through this little shopping mall, got my ticket from a machine that had no line, breezed through airport security, and suddenly I realized I was in the Louvre. It was a little disorienting how easy it all was.

This is how you do The Louvre. Go into a room, take a quick look at all the art in it, and if something catches your eye go and have a proper look at it. There is SO MUCH ART, if you try to really look at everything you'll go crazy. It was hard for me, who likes to experience everything, but if I can do it you can too. I started at the 19th century and worked my way back to the beginning of the 18th century. Surprise surprise, I LOVED the 18th century rooms. Especially the Fragonards and Bouchers which were so beautiful and moving. People have asked me before why I love 18th century art so much, and I never know how to explain. I mean yes I could say that I love the color pallate (LOVE the color pallate) and the subject matter and the style and all that, but at the end of the day there's just some intangible force that draws me to it that I could never put into words. But in a sort of attempt to explain, 18th century art makes me feel like this (while the whole piece is worth listening to, the part I'm referring to starts at around 2:15):



After those galleries I did a bit of the decorative arts, went to see a few favorite pieces like the Grand Odalesque and that famous statue of Cupid and Psyche kissing (which was SO moving, I was pleasantly surprised), and then walked around the 17th century galleries a bit. It was so fun walking around the museum and getting to see in person all this art I've studied for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment